Thrive Mount Vernon has been hard at work implementing the Project’s “You Matter – We Need You” curriculum.
A Top 10 List to highlight efforts:
- The District has developed a crisis intervention protocol and is continuing to expand its youth resiliency building efforts.
- The High School held a kick-off assembly on April, 10 with speaker Jennifer Louden delivering a message of staying on your own side, no matter what life brings you from the outside. (Thank you to the Jacob Tyler Hanson Memorial Fund for sponsoring this event).
- The Middle School is holding a kick-off assembly on May 10 (read below for details about a cool Locks of Love activity!).
- The District designed maroon “You Matter – We Need You” rubber wristbands for staff and students.
- The District has printed “business-card” style hand-outs with information promoting the curriculum and support concepts for students, parents, and community members.
- Thrive Mount Vernon Leadership Camps are focusing on Trusted Adults and “You Matter – We Need You” throughout 2013.
- The District is developing a summer 2013 Thrive Mustangs Challenge to encourage students to live the “You Matter – We Need You” theme.
- Building off the High School’s service learning program, the Middle School is developing a “Pay it Forward” challenge for students to provide community service.
- The Middle School has painted a Tree of Trust on a school wall and is committing to annually update the “hands/leaves” with the names of students’ Trusted Adults.
- Some district staff purchased Thrive Mustangs You Matter – We Need You shirts (BONUS: staff who wear shirts on Wednesdays are free to wear jeans!). Shirts will soon be offered for sale to students, parents, and community members and asking all to wear this gear on Wednesdays in support of the campaign.
On May 10th, 2013, at 2:15pm, the Middle School will facilitate a school-wide assembly to kick off the “You Matter. We Need You.” campaign with a Locks of Love event. After a short presentation about the campaign, over one dozen teachers and students will line up on the gym floor. After a big countdown by the student body, volunteer community stylists will cut off braids and provide complimentary haircuts to donors.
The Locks of Love effort was the brainchild of Middle School Counselor Jennifer Holub Tischer. “My aunt, who is facing breast cancer right now, is going through chemotherapy and has lost her hair. She is a person who inspires me regularly with her courage in facing cancer and by the phenomenal character she has displayed all my life as one of my Trusted Adults. Even in the face of an extreme medical crisis, she has continued to devote much of her time to helping others as a volunteer. The Locks of Love event is a tribute to her and all Trusted Adults. It seemed a perfect fit for our assembly to kick off our You Matter – We Need You campaign, one centered on the truth that every person matters and we all have gifts we can use to help others”.
For information about the school assembly (all community members and media are welcomed!), call or text Jennifer at 319-558-9473 or email email@example.com
Any questions or contributions in support of Mount Vernon’s “You Matter – We Need You” campaign? Weigh in below!